Group Classes and Group Therapy for Anxiety, Women’s Divorce Support, Eating Disorders, Adolescent Girls Support, Parenting, and More
Long Island Counseling Services operates group therapy classes and lessons on several topics and struggles. We believe that meeting together, with peers that also have similar struggles, and provide guidance and support in a place that is comfortable for all of you.
We operate different group therapy sessions at different times, led by therapists at both our Bellmore and Melville locations. If you’ve thought about group therapy before, or you’d like to join one of the group therapist classes that we’re conducting, give us a call to find out more about our availability or to join one of our sessions.
Why Group Therapy?
Individual therapy is one of the most effective tools available for addressing mental health and relationship struggles. We encourage you to seek out individual therapy if you feel like you need individualized support that meets your needs.
Yet we often find that many people also benefit from group therapy. Group therapy can offer benefits that many people find advantageous, including:
- Accountability – When you meet with a larger group, you start to feel accountable for making life changes to discuss at the next meeting.
- Normalization – Hearing from your peers helps you to know that you’re not alone, and that the struggles you have are similar to others.
- Cost and Accessibility – Group therapy sessions tend to be less costly than other forms of therapy, making them more accessible on a budget.
- Perspective – Hearing from people that go through the same struggles but may have different backgrounds helps bring other perspective into the discussion.
- Support – It helps to know that you’re supportive. Being with others that are encouraging and insightful provides that helpful social support that benefits you.
Group therapy also opens the door for different types of support that may not fit into traditional mental health concerns, but still benefit from a group setting. For example, many of our group counseling session at Long Island Counseling Services are about women’s health and wellness, which allows us to talk about issues that are universal among women, but are not necessarily about a mental health disorder.
What Group Counseling Classes Do We Offer?
Our Long Island group therapy sessions change throughout different seasons. That’s why we encourage you to contact us to see what we currently have available. Examples of some of the group sessions we offer include:
- Women’s Divorce Support Group
- Adolescent Girl’s Support Group: Teen Connection
- Parenting Group: Positive Parenting
If you’re interested in a topic that is not currently covered, we still encourage you to call. We can gauge interest to see if there are enough others to join these sessions, and if so, we can discuss creating one for you and your needs. We can also talk to you about whether individual therapy may be beneficial.
Join a Group Counseling Service Today
We have two offices and many therapists available in Melville, NY and Bellmore, NY. We are close to Freeport, Plainview, Oceanside, Hempstead, Deer Park, Huntington, and throughout the Long Island area. We hold sessions on different days of the week at many different times, so we encourage you to give us a call to see what classes are available or to join in on one of our existing group therapy classes.