Long Island Counseling Services Offers Support and Therapy for Women’s Mental Health
Anxiety, depression, addiction – these are challenges that can affect anyone at any time. We can develop them as a result of trauma, life experience, stress, relationship issues, and countless other health and mental health conditions. But there are some challenges that are either more common in women, or specifically present in women.
At Long Island Counseling Services, we aim to create an environment where all women feel safe and welcomed. We offer several counseling services that provide solutions for women’s mental health issues, and make an effort to ensure that each and every person that we see knows that they’re safe and cared for. If you would like help, please contact us at (631) 380-3299 to visit our Melville office, or (516) 882-4544 to be connected to our East Meadow location.
What is “Women’s Mental Health?”
Mental health issues do not discriminate, and both men and women may present with symptoms and issues that benefit from treatment. We also know, however, that some mental health challenges affect women either in different ways than men, or are more common in women and female presenting individuals. Our role is to help you work through these issues which may include, but are not limited to:
- Postpartum Depression (PPD) – As many as 50% of women experience some degree of “baby blues” after having a baby, and a large percentage of those women will also experience something called postpartum depression, or PPD. Postpartum depression is depression that specifically occurs after childbirth, and can make parenting, relationships, and home life far more difficult.
- Eating Disorders – Eating disorders can affect both men and women. But they are statistically more common and more dangerous in women and female presenting teens and adults.
- Trauma – Trauma that affects women may be different than trauma that affects men. Recognizing these differences and how to address them is an important part of women’s wellness.
- Infertility and Miscarriage – Women that have experienced infertility, or have recently experienced a miscarriage or stillbirth, can often find that experience to cause them immense distress. We can use counseling to provide support from women and couples going through these challenges.
- Perimenopause and Menopause – As hormones change starting in a woman’s mid-30s, it becomes more difficult to cope with life stresses, body changes, and more. We can support women through these transitions and help them with any issues that may arise.
- Parenthood Pressures – The pressures that women have in parenthood can differ depending on their upbringing and societal expectations.
- Workplace Stresses – Working women may face different challenges that can make it difficult to get through the professional world.
Other issues that affect both genders, like ADHD, may also present differently in women compared to men. Relationship issues may as well, as women are more likely to be victims of domestic abuse or struggle with specific gender roles.
At Long Island Counseling Services, we work with women of any age looking for support for their mental health and wellness, with therapists that truly understand how to help you bring out your best self.
Start the Process Today with Long Island Counseling Services
Long Island Counseling Services offers mental health treatment that is open to all. Our work with women – including therapists whose specialty is helping you embrace your worth – is what makes many on Long Island choose us for their mental health needs. For more information about our services, or to be matched to a therapist, please contact us today.