Many people seek out therapy on Long Island for a specific mental health concern, such as depression, an anxiety disorder, stress, or relationship struggles, as they seek to minimize the specific negative thoughts and behaviors that result from that condition. Therapy is highly effective in managing these symptoms, but it can also provide a range of other outcomes in unexpected areas that can provide a significant improvement in your overall mental and physical health.
The therapists at Long Island Counseling Services have provided effective treatment solutions, like Cognitive Behavioral Solutions, to help patients overcome mental health challenges. Through these treatments, we have also seen the following advantages of Long Island therapy.
How Therapy Can Boost Your Overall Health and Happiness
Therapy is often most effective when you come with a goal. This is generally a mental health diagnosis or a specific event or challenge that is causing you distress. Your therapist will focus treatment around this concern to manage the symptoms that are most pressing. Yet along the way, you will likely notice other positive changes, such as:
- Increased Energy – The emotions and thoughts you experience with a mental health condition are often exhausting. Combined with the fact that they can make sleep less restful, you may have a harder time waking up or feel tired all day. Less tiring emotions and better sleep will help you feel more energized and awake all day long.
- Better Breathing Techniques – Your breathing has a lot to do with your overall health. Regular breaths will get the right amount of oxygen to your brain and body, making you feel more alert, reducing fatigue, and ensuring you less often feel out of breath. Anxiety and stress can cause shorter and shallower breathing. Through therapy, you will often naturally begin to breathe easier.
- Improved Digestive Health – Many mental health conditions have physical symptoms that affect gut health. Depression can affect eating habits and stress can reduce the speed of digestion. All of this can lead to flatulence, bloating, and indigestion. By reducing anxiety and improving mood, sleep, and breathing habits, digestion will become healthier and more regular.
- More Satisfying Sex Life – When you are depressed or anxious, you may have less interest in pleasurable activities and find yourself more distracted. As people recover from anxiety and depression, they often find their libido increases, they feel more connected to their partner, and they get greater pleasure from sex since they are more focused on the present.
- Focus on the Present – Mental health conditions center on your thoughts and emotions so they can cause you to feel more focused on your thoughts than on the goings on around you. When you meet with a Long Island therapist, you will learn skills that help you engage more with the world and people around you while you reduce the amount of attention your depression or anxiety requires.
While the particular improvements you notice in your life will vary from person to person, these are some of the most common benefits we see in our patients. Others might experience more fulfillment in relationships, better physical fitness and performance, less physical pain, and a range of other improvements.
Find a Therapist on Long Island – Contact Long Island Counseling Services
These benefits are all in addition to the reduction in symptoms you experience from therapy to minimize anxiety or manage depression. Part of what we focus on at Long Island Counseling Services is an improvement in your complete mental health. You are more than simply your mental health symptoms, and so our treatments also take your overall health into account.
Get started with therapy on Long Island with a call to Long Island Counseling Services.